- Posted by eds2012
- On February 21, 2012
- 0 Comments
- fine print, trade show contract, Trade Shows & Expos, understanding contracts
So envision this…. You are working on a great event, and can see it now – exquisite flowers, beautiful design, delicious food and cocktails… After working hard on finding the perfect caterer and the perfect venue, you are presented with a contract. You can’t wait for your event; it’s going to be perfect. What do you do? Whatever you do, don’t sign the contract without reading the fine print. I know, you’ve heard it all before – always read before you sign.
Why can’t you just sign it? The caterer or the venue might seem perfect, but in reality, you don’t know them from a hole in the wall. As Harry Firestone of Firestone Tires said, “The success is in the sum of the details.” Be sure to read the fine print before you sign, or you might get caught in a lot of trouble down the line. It doesn’t matter whether it’s a wedding, a bar mitzvah, a high school reunion, or a trade show exhibit….
Here’s a few helpful tips:
- Ask a lot of questions. You might feel like you’re annoying your contact person, but in reality, you want everything just right. If they are interested in the success of your event and doing business with you, they will be willing to work with you.
- Give it a number. Be as specific as you can. You don’t want to commit to 150 hotel rooms if only 85 people might sign up for your event. Instead, as for a certain amount of time to gather RSVPS, and then ask for a deadline for last minute sign-ups.
- Ask for the extas. It can’t hurt! Are you getting married? See if the hotel will throw in a free room for the bride and groom.
- Make sure you’re comfortable. If there is anything that sounds fuzzy to you, or if something doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t. Keep tweaking until you feel good about your contract.
Event Driven Solutions can help you with your contracts, so don’t hesitate to reach out to us at Betsy@eventdrivensolutions.com. Remember the details – and get ready for a fantastic event!